Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Getting Ready for Christmas

We are going great guns this year in getting ready for Christmas. We already have the artificial tree (that looks more lifelike than the real ones we bought previously; the thing even has fake pine cones on it!) all decorated and pretty. The outdoor lights are out and working well. All the presents are wrapped, and those that have to be mailed will be sent off this week.

The house is completely decorated with the several dozens of Christmas-themed items Linda sets out. She spends two days early each Christmas season storing our usual clutter and carefully placing the Santas, snowmen, reindeer, angels, candy trees, wreaths, stockings, etc., etc. around the house. Linda really loves the Christmas holiday season!

I've mailed my Christmas cards to my side of the family; Linda is just starting to write out her cards. Linda is now starting on the holiday cooking. Tomorrow she plans on making her fabulous fudge, white chocolate-covered prexels, and a cake. She'll be making cookies and candies for the next ten days.

She is totally finished her shopping for Christmas presents, finishing up this morning. I haven't started shopping for her yet. She buys for a couple of dozen people, and all I have to shop for is Linda. She's done, and all presents are wrapped. Time for me to start thinking about what to get her. She's hard, I mean HARD, to buy for. She doesn't wear any jewelry, not into clothes much, trying to not eat sweets ( = no chocolate covered cherries or candy Millionaires wanted). Her only hint has been she needs a new toaster oven since the one she had before we married 23 years ago just quit heating. Boy, the guys who can just buy a piece of jewelry or a fancy purse for their wife are lucky! (I bought Linda a $175 fancy leather purse on year, and she beat me with it and returned it.)

Anyway, here it is the 9th of December, and we are well on our way to being finished with all the preparations and being ready for Christmas this year. Linda has her Christmas card list to finish and a week-plus of cooking to do, whereas I have to shop for her. Sounds 'bout right! Guess I"ll run by Home Depot tomorrow...

Oh yeah, don't forget that poetry books, like my Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man, make the perfect gift for that hard-to-buy-for relative or friend. Just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers, y'all!

Harry

No comments: